Tuesday, August 25, 2009

culture shock

It is pretty much impossible to explain how I am feeling right now, but I know it is nothing short of being overwhelmed. The international flight was an adventure in itself. After getting to Dulles airport and getting through security without problems, I was feeling pretty good. We boarded the plane on time, but then because of mechanical problems we waited, and there were eventually asked to get off this plane after about 45 minutes. We were hoarded back into the loading area at which point we waited some more while the United Airlines people got their plans together and then moved down to another airplane. Everything was going smoothly until, oops, Dulles had started constuction on the runway we were supposed to go off without letting United know. We then waited in the plane while some sort of crew had to unload 15000 pounds worth of cargo so we would be light enough to lift up. Three hours later, we were in the sky :)

Immediately following our 10 1/2 flight to Argentina, we literally got off the plane, Lan Chile workers were waiting for us at the end of the gate so we moved from one gate to the other, without checking in or anything. It was pretty cool.

As for actually being in Chile, things are a little overwhelming right now. It is complete culture shock, but I think for the small amount of time I have been here it is already because more acceptable.

One thing I noticed is that there are wild dogs that just walk around the streets of Santiago, it is lunchin. And sad. I also went to the supermarket today, lets talk about an exciting grocery trip. I felt so American when all I could do was stare at everything in Spanish and not want to buy anything...ohh well, I'm going to nap now before dinner (I obvi forget they don't eat until 9ish) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment